I've Moved!

Head on over to The Renaissance Housewife to reconnect.

Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Root Beer Kombucha

Look at those snazzy new garage sale bottle caps! Normally I like to use my plain silver ones with blue, green, or clear glass, but since this was root beer-flavored kombucha I thought it would be cool to make it like root beer (I also had caps that said "REAL BEER", but I thought that would be misleading).

Basically what I did for this was make a teabag of sassafras root bark and add it in with the green and black teas. Look what I found in the sassafras!
Vanilla bean! Must have not had another place to put it.

 The bags are just plain press-and-brew tea bags- you fill them and iron them shut. I got mine from Bulk Herb Store, but you could probably find cheaper ones elsewhere. My sassafras bags were only in for as long as the other teas- I debated on whether or not to leave the bark to ferment with the mushroom, but looking back I think the best thing to do would have been to put the sassafras in and let it warm up and boil with the water, way before adding the sugar or other teas.

Over all it wasn't a bad experiment. The bottled kombucha tasted like normal, but there was definitely a root beer aftertaste.

Yay for kombucha!


No comments:

Post a Comment