I've Moved!

Head on over to The Renaissance Housewife to reconnect.

Thursday, July 18, 2013

Pico De Gallo

 Pico de gallo is a loosely defined Mexican condiment. Mine was a loose re-creation of what I had with some of the BF's church friends for dinner one night. This was my recipe:

3 avacados
1 chile pepper
1 pkg. fresh cilantro
2 roma tomatoes
1/2 purple onion
lime juice to taste

Basically what I did was mash the avacados, dice everything else, mix it all together and add lime juice. The pico de gallo I tried was closer to guacamole than salsa, but none of the recipes I found used avacado. So I just made up my own kind of thing. I thought it turned out quite well, though BF said it could have used more cilantro. He's spent a lot of time in Latin America so I suppose he would know. Now me... I think all Mexican food is the same. Tortilla, salsa, beans, chicken, chiles, avacado.... wash, rinse, repeat. Seriously! Go to any good (bad- er, "Americanized") Mexican restaurant and you'll find the same ingredients repackaged as 50 different options. This is encouraging to me, because in order to MASTER Mexican cooking, all I have to do is buy 15 or 20 ingredients and learn 50 different Spanish words for "taco". Or something like that.

Does anyone even know what that white runny "cheese" even is? I'm not sure it's legit...  

No comments:

Post a Comment