Cheddar Cheese Crackers
Cost per recipe: $2.40
8 1/4 oz. all purpose flour
8 oz shredded sharp cheddar cheese (the finer shred, the better)
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
4 oz. canola oil
4 to 5 oz. water
Topping- recipe calls for kosher salt- for a different look I used margarita salt and it turned out great.
1. Combine flour, cheese, and spices. Food processor or Kitchen Aid works great. Add the oil and mix just to a coarse meal consistency. Add the water gradually until the dough forms a cohesive ball that pulls away from the side of the bowl.
2. Divide the dough equally into pieces, wrap, and refrigerate.
3. Roll the dough through a pasta machine to 1/8 in thickness (I just did it as thin as I could).
This is the part that I've had trouble with before- getting the dough through the noodle maker without it falling apart. Some batches work better than others. If you're having trouble, use flour or water or smash it as thin as possible on the counter, and then run it through (as opposed to shoving a ball of dough through the machine).
4. Cut out cracker shapes. You can use a drinking glass, pizza cutter, cookie cutter or whatever works. Sprinkle the crackers with salt.
5. Bake at 325 degrees F 15-20 minutes until lightly golden.