I've Moved!

Head on over to The Renaissance Housewife to reconnect.

Friday, June 6, 2014

How to Make Tortillas

This is about the only bread item that I don't use my 5-Minute Artisan Bread recipe for.

Tortillas

Cost per recipe: 50-80 cents (depends if you use butter or oil)

Ingredients:
3 cups flour
1 tsp. salt
1/3 cup butter or oil
1 cup warm water

Instructions:
1. Mix everything together. Divide into 8 balls.
2. Use a rolling pin to roll out tortillas. Try to get them as thin as possible. Also try to get  them round. :P This would be super easy if you had a tortilla press.


3. Heat up your fry pan. No need to oil it. Now, my parents had an electric stove that has actual settings like High, Medium, Low, and everything in between is numbered. 1, 2, 3, 4.... My gas stove, Gertrude, seems to only have two settings- BIG FLAME, and little baby flame. Like flame buds. Sometimes if I'm lucky I can find the perfect 'medium' setting, but to be on the save side I usually start my tortillas on a low flame.

After the pan is heated up, cook the tortilla. It should start making pockets of air, and then when you flip it, there will be little light brown spots (or if you forget, big black spots).


Air pockets forming... side #1.

Side #2: eh, could use another minute or two.
If you're really good, you can cook a tortilla just right on both sides with only one flip. I usually get impatient waiting for it and do 3 or 4 flips. But at least they turn out perfect.


May you be the best tortilla maker on your street!

-Bethany




No comments:

Post a Comment